The Eagle Annual Number 1 was launched in 1951 for the year 1952, building on the success of the comic which had been launched in the April of the previous year. I was born too late in the 1950's to enjoy the Eagle Annual when first published, so my introduction to them was as a set of hand-me-down copies from my older cousin Peter. I read them from cover to cover time and time again, then when I thought I had had enough of them I passed them onwards again to another delighted recipient.
Of course, I should have kept them...
Over the last few years I have been browsing around numerous second-hand book shops re-creating my collection and also buying the newer volumes which I did not have the first time around. Also I have learned that there were many companion annuals, which I have begun to collect. So, this is my own personal tribute to the Eagle Annual. I hope that by browsing these pages you too can enjoy some of the magic within the pages of these classic boys' and girls' annuals.
None of these annuals is for sale, but there are links throughout the site to other web
sites that do have copies for sale, such as these recommended retailers:
Eagle Annuals for sale on ebay
Why not start your own collection?
Reminisce with me by wandering through each of the annuals listed below. Share your reminiscences by sending me them via the Contact Us page. I'll publish the best.
I have divided my collection into sections to make each web page a more managable size.
Each of the images in the section pages shows the front cover of the annuals scanned in from the annuals that I own.
These front cover images are links to further pages with more information about the annual shown in the link.
Within these information pages I've listed a lot of the basic facts about each volume and include
a contents list in the style of the original contents list for that volume.
In the near future I plan on including extracts from the various annuals, subject to UK copyright laws.
Many of these annuals have now lost their fly-sheet covers, so the image is simply the bare material with a small embossed logo in the centre.
The Eagle Annual describes itself as Companion to Girl, Swift and Robin. Robin and Swift were aimed at the younger generation. My main interest has been in the Eagle Annual, but I have included information about these companion annuals where I have copies of them. Several Eagle Novels were produced and details of these are included within these pages for each of the novels in my collection.
If you're looking for a specific annual or book the site map page might help you find it more quickly.
The logo at the top of each page is always a link back to this page.
Eagle Annual First Series.
Eagle Annual Second Series.
Spin-offs from the main series.
Dan Dare was a popular feature in the main comics and likewise in the annuals. There were several annuals and novels published dedicated to Dan Dare and also a run of books which were reprints of the complete stories as they appeared in the comics. The image on the left is link to the Dan Dare page.
Best Of Eagle Annual and Comic
The Eagle Comics have been reviewed and remembered in several Best Of annuals over the years. The comic was famous for its cutaway drawings which also have a book and an annual dedicated to their memory. Click on the image on the left to go to the Best Of page.
Other closely related specialist annuals and books.
Eagle Specialist Annuals
Many of the Eagle Annuals also had specialist topic annuals to accompany the main annual, e.g. Eagle Book of Trains. Other topics included Aircraft and Modern Wonders. Click on the image on the left for more details. on the specialist annuals
Eagle Sports Annuals
Eagle Sports Annuals covered a wide range of sports which were played at the time. Many famous names are mentioned. Click on the image on the left to visit the page dedicated to the Eagle Sports Annuals.
Eagle Hobbies and Pastimes Annuals
The Eagle publishers diversified into a wide range of hobbies and pastimes, from Magic to Space Craft Models. Several other books expanded on the models from the main annuals and were dedicated to making specific types of models. Click on the image on the left to visit the page dedicated to the various Eagle Hobbies and Pastimes Annuals
Miscellaneous Eagle Annuals, Novels and Books
Many Eagle publications do not really fit into any of the above categories so they are listed here. Other annuals in this section, such as P.C.49, are for characters that became regulars within the main Eagle Annual. Various novels and picture-strip books, such as the Life Story of Sir Winston Churchill can be found on this page. Click on the image on the left to visit the page dedicated to the various Eagle Books and other miscellaneous Annuals.
Eagle Annuals always used to state that they were a Companion to GIRL, SWIFT and ROBIN. Click on the image on the left to see a page listing some of the details and features for the copies of these annuals that I have in my possession.
Latest additions and updates:
- 15/Jul/2013 : An Eagle Novel : Luck of the Legion's Desert Adventure, 1958
- 14/Jul/2013 : An Eagle Novel : Luck of the Legion's Secret Mission, 1956
- 25/Nov/2012 : An Eagle Novel : Dan Dare on Mars
- 11/Nov/2012 : The Happy Warrior - The Life Story in Picture-Strip of Sir Winston Churchill
- 11/Nov/2012 : Dan Dare Annual 1991
- 11/Nov/2012 : Dan Dare Annual 1987
- 11/Nov/2012 : Dan Dare's Space Annual 1963
- 17/Oct/2012 : Eagle Book of Rockets and Space Travel
- 17/Oct/2012 : Eagle Book of Cars and Motor Sport
- 16/Oct/2012 : The Eagle Book of Cutaways 1988
- 06/Feb/2012 : Eagle Book of Model Aircraft 1959
- 22/Jan/2012 : Reorganised the contents page to make it easier to find things.
- 22/Jan/2012 : Eagle Book of the Universe 1960
- 22/Jan/2012 : Girl Annual Number 1
- 02/Oct/2011 : Eagle Book of Records and Champions
- 18/Sep/2011 : Eagle Book of Model Boats
- 18/Sep/2011 : Eagle Book of Make It Yourself
- 18/Sep/2011 : P.C. 49 Annual
- 18/Sep/2011 : On the Beat with P.C. 49 Annual
- 13/Feb/2011 : Eagle Book of Hobbies 1958
- 16/Jan/2011 : Eagle Book of How it Works 1962
- 15/Jan/2011 : Eagle Book of Magic
- 09/Jan/2011 : Swift Annual 1
- 09/Jan/2011 : Swift Annual 2
- 07/Jan/2011 : Dan Dare Pilot Of the Future The Biography
- 16/Oct/2010 : Eagle Book of Model Cars 1961
- 16/Oct/2010 : Eagle Book of Spacecraft Models 1960
- 15/Oct/2010 : Eagle Book of Modern Adventurers
- 15/Oct/2010 : Eagle Book of Careers
- 01/Sep/2010 : Eagle Book of Britain's Fighting Services 1962
- 22/Jul/2010 : Eagle Book of Ships and Boats 1959
- 09/Jul/2010 : Eagle Sports Annual 1962
- 09/Jul/2010 : Eagle Sports Annual 8
- 08/Jul/2010 : Riders of the Range - two more different annuals of the early 1950's
- 08/Jul/2010 : Riders of the Range Annual 1
- 08/Jul/2010 : Riders of the Range Annual 4
New additions to my collection awaiting review:
- 2000 AD Annual 1980
- Eagle New Book of Aircraft 1960
- Eagle New Book of Trains 1963
- Eagle Book of Aircraft 1954
- Eagle Book of Balsa Models
- Eagle Football Annual 1962
- Eagle Book of Sport (Play the game the experts' way) 1958
- An Eagle Novel : Jack O'Lantern and the Fighting Cock
- An Eagle Novel : Wickham and the Armada
- An Eagle Novel : The Three J's and the Pride of Northbrook
- An Eagle Novel : More Men of Glory
- An Eagle Novel : Special Investigator
- An Eagle Novel : Storm Nelson and the Sea Leopard
- An Eagle Novel : The Return of Robinson Crusoe
- The Girl Book of Modern Adventures
- Swift Annual 1963
- A Swift Picture Book Space Flight
- A Swift Picture Book Trains of the World
- A Swift Picture Book Motor Racing
- A Swift Picture Book Airlines and Airports
- A Swift Picture Book Emergency Services of the World
- A Swift Picture Book British Military Uniforms
- A Swift Picture Book Ships
- A Swift Picture Book Pageantry and Customs
- A Swift Picture Book Cars and Trains
- A Swift Novel : Nicky Nobody and the Rocket Spies
- Second Round-Up with the Riders of the Range
- Riders of the Range Annual 3
- Riders of the Range Annual 1961
- Eagle Classics - The Adventures of P.C.49
- Eagle Classics - Harris Tweed Extra Special Agent
- Eagle Classics - Riders of the Range
Titles of annuals, books and novels in the Eagle and associated series which I know about but I do not have in my collection:
- The Baden Powell Story- An Eagle Book 1957 Hulton Press
- An Eagle Novel : Luck of the Legion
- An Eagle Novel : Sergeant Luck Takes Over
- An Eagle Novel : Carry On, Sergeant Luck!
- An Eagle Novel : The Return of Sergeant Luck
- A Girl Novel : Claudia of the Circus. 1958 By Geoffrey Bond, Hulton Press
- A Girl Novel : Wendy and Jinx and the Dutch Stamp Mystery. 1956 By Valerie Hastings
- A Girl Novel : Wendy and Jinx and the Missing Scientist.
- A Girl Novel : Belle of the Ballet's Gala Performance
- A Girl Novel : Belle of the Ballet's Country Holiday
- A Girl Novel : Angela has Wings. 1960 By Peter Ling, Longmore Press
Last updated: 02/September/2013